If the dollar has little value, then donate a few.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Day One

Hi! Welcome to my blog.

My goal with this blog is to share with you some of the experiences and things that happen in the legislature that you may not hear about, what really happens behind the scenes, and to point out the decision making process that we go through before we vote on bills.

Many times here in Nashville the saying is: What happens in Nashville stays in Nashville. I am not a believer in this. I am more of a believer that you shouldn't do anything in private that you wouldn't mind seeing on the front page of the paper. So here we go.

My first impressions of Nashville started when I pulled into the two-level heated parking garage. It was snowing outside, but I have never yet seen the doors close. The words throwing money out the window came to mind, except the doors were bigger than any window I had ever seen. I wonder how many truly needy people could have received health care, better education, etc. with the money wasted just in this one department. The only argument I ever heard regarding this was that the heat is needed to keep the exposed waters pipes/sprinkler system in the parking garage from freezing. This might have a modicum of credibility if water froze below seventy-five degrees, but that doesn't happen too often even here in Nashville. You can actually break out in a sweat if you do too much in the heated garage. I guess the self-serving legislators worry more about their own personal comfort than saving the tax payers a buck.

Being new, I wasn't quite sure how to change this, but expect to see a bill addressing this matter next year. Many people come to me with good ideas but I can only submit ideas in the first few weeks of session. If you have an idea, thought, opinion or even just a rant feel free to post it here I may try to submit it as a bill next session. (Disclaimer) I offer no promises other than it will be read. Stay tuned for more observations as session rolls on.


Re: John Ford. Many people have asked me about this person, and the problems regarding his "indiscretion." Let me say what you hear is probably only the tip of the iceberg. Although I do feel all people are innocent until proven guilty, usually where there is smoke there is fire. In this case, I smell an inferno. I would hope that the senator would step down from his chairmanship, as well as from the senate altogether previous to the impeachment proceedings, which I hope would be soon to come (should these claims be proven). It makes you wonder what our lieutenant governor was thinking when he put him in charge of the committees he is in charge of. Possibly he was lost in the cosmos with which he so in tune. Good thing he's in charge.

Stacey Campfield

18 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for trying this. I'm from Knoxville, and i'll be checking back periodically.

    One tip though: Breaking up your post into many paragraphs improves readability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, spelling "Scenes" correctly helps. Just sayin...

    Great idea, I wish my legislators would do this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Nashville now (attending Belmont University), but I'm still a Knoxvillian at heart... thanks so much for doing this. You can bet I'll be checking back periodically, too. If only other legislators had a simple blog they themselves authored to keep their constituency abreast of current issues then maybe some real change could occur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your blog Mr Campbell, and good luck cleaning up Nashville.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate to nitpick... but it's "scenes". :) See, this is what you have ankle-biting blog commenters for! To seize upon your spelling errors and ignore the content of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I e-mailed a link to your blog to my state rep in Denver, hoping to inspire him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even live in Tennessee, but this is really cool. I hope more politicians start their own weblog. Imagine, accessible politicians!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacey: I'm trying to confirm that you were asked to leave the House floor because you were wearing tennis shoes and a T-shirt. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  9. To evary bodey who rote tanks fer yer inpoot ill tri harder next tim and sclark no it is not true

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, now only Stacey and Bill Clinton allow comments on their blogs. Great idea Stacey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you. Three words of advice: Use paragraph breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. boy howdy! a feller tennesean. get shed of at john ford, he be a desgrase to the state!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please let us be accurate before spreading false statements about the legislative garage. Being from Nashville and now working in Knoxville, I too believed that the legislative garage was heated but a simple question to a maintenance worker revealed the truth. The fact is the garage is not heated, since it is completely below ground the temp. remains constant at approximately 70-75 degrees and there are fans that circulate the air to give the feel of heaters. I know you right wingers like to take things and take them out of context and expliot it but please be accurate and explore facts before you make an accusation. Besides is the only thing you did this week is explore legislative garage, what did you do from a legislative perspective besides gripe about the dems.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please let us be accurate before spreading false statements about the legislative garage. Being from Nashville and now working in Knoxville, I too believed that the legislative garage was heated but a simple question to a maintenance worker revealed the truth. The fact is the garage is not heated, since it is completely below ground the temp. remains constant at approximately 70-75 degrees and there are fans that circulate the air to give the feel of heaters. I know you right wingers like to take things and take them out of context and expliot it but please be accurate and explore facts before you make an accusation. Besides is the only thing you did this week is explore legislative garage, what did you do from a legislative perspective besides gripe about the dems.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To Hudson:
    Ambient temperature, sub-grade is about 50 degrees. Unless fans run incredibly hot, your theory is incorrect regardless of what you have been told.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm proud of you! This much honesty is rare, especially in our everyone at the trough legislature. It just struck me, we call it waste, but it's not- it's patronage, because the money goes somewhere. And the legislature gets to decide who is paid to heat the garage...

    Please keep it up. I'm from Knoxville but I live in Chris Clem's district now- he is I'm sure proud to be Nafieh's pick for "most divisive" (least obedient" legislator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HONEST IS HONEST. YOU DID NOT WARN YOUR READERS ABOUT YOUR SPELLING HUH?

    ReplyDelete

Here are the rules for comments. Know them. Live them.

http://lastcar.blogspot.com/2011/04/rules-for-comments.html?m=1