Lots of people are asking what is up with the E.D. bill. Well the long and short of it is so are most legislators. Some think it will be rolled for another week or until the senate comes up with a bill. Others think it will be brought back up next week and we will go back to battle on our ideas. Some say any changes on this issue will be killed off in the study committee that this bill is sure to go through.
These are the 5 big goals put forward by the republican task force on E.D. (Taken out of legalease)
1. Extend the notice for taking from 5 days to 30 days.
2. Final approval of all land taken must be given by a elected governing body. (No passing it off to avoid any backlash).
3. Right of first refusal. Original property owners would have first rights to buy back property that was taken and later put up for sale.
4. Appraise property at highest and best use. (Instead of taking land for appraisal value.) A field on a big road with development all around should be valued at its value as development property not its value as a field.
5. No private to private transfer, Public use redefined. Limited to the possession ,occupation and enjoyment of the land by the general public or public agencies, use of land for the creation of functioning utilities, or the acquisition of abandoned property. (not for economic development)
One of my goals beyond the big 5 is to redefine blight(the tool used that starts the process for taking).I would like it to be defined as property that is causing or may cause imminent physical harm to people or surrounding property.