If the dollar has little value, then donate a few.

Monday, October 08, 2012

Checking the checkers

While I have never done a press release, over the last 2 years I have gotten to where I am more and more media shy. I have been burned so many times I just have very little faith (especially in the local print media) any more and don't want to do anything but live, unedited interviews.

It is so bad that with the local paper I will only talk to one reporter. Not that ALL the rest have all burned me, but enough have that I just don't bother with any of them no matter how inane the comment they want. Its just not worth the headache.

Even the media's "Politifact" Fact check stories. Most of the time I have found it to be more political then fact. Most of the time it is half a phrase taken out of context and twisted to be pushed out in a way to present conservatives (mostly) in the worst possible light and liberals in the best light.

Sort of like if the quote was how a liberal said "Stacey Campfield said congress shouldn't be allowed to make any laws"

The people at "Politifact Fact check" would score that as completely true. How? Well, I have said in the past "I support the bill of rights." In the bill of rights it says "congress shall make no law" in part of the first amendment.

 "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

And then by their twisted logic, by golly, they are right. I have said I don't think congress should make laws.  It must be true, TRUE, TRUE!!

It has gotten to the point I just right them all off and don't even read them. I mean, why bother. The person being quoted is not given an opportunity to present their side in an equal sized piece (From personal experience I have learned at best I will get 1 sentence to defend myself against the rest of the article). The paper doesn't even allow comments so a person could post the actual facts in the comment section.

Now I have stumbled across a blog that checks the fact checkers. I think it is just one person presenting the other side but at least it is a start. I even went back a while and found they fact checked one "Fact check" on me. As I  was reading it I was saying "Yes. Yes!, Yes!!!!, Exactly!!)

Lets just say, I will be back and now it appears they are going full time on checking the checkers here.  It restores my faith in the printed word.

UPDATE: A better link and page can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout, Sen.

    Zebra Fact Check is not quite yet a full time endeavor, though I can probably match the fact check output from PF Tennessee even just part time.

    You're right about PolitiFact. It's barely a notch above left-wing Media Matters. We've tried to raise awareness of that with the website "PolitiFact Bias."

    http://www.politifactbias.com/

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found Politifact pretty reliable myself. It is true that it rates MORE Republican statements than Democratic statements, but it isn't true that Democrats receive more "true" ratings than Republicans. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe you're upset because you claimed Memphis couldn't destroy guns in a buyback program and that aids is transferred through bestiality, and both of those statements were vetted out as false on politifact (the one about AIDs getting a "pants on fire"). I'm sure a little discretion and research would go a long way in avoiding media blowback of that sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly you should check the link I posted on that one.

      Delete

Here are the rules for comments. Know them. Live them.

http://lastcar.blogspot.com/2011/04/rules-for-comments.html?m=1