If the dollar has little value, then donate a few.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Missing it.

I have been watching more TV then usual this last week being snowed in in upstate New York at my moms house. One thing I have noticed is a dirth of TV shows with a positive message. Yes, there were lots of shows with killing, sex, rape, perversion, etc. but  those almost all had a negative ending. Yes they would get the killer but there was not much in the way of a positive message other then don't get caught.

Two of the few exceptions I have found have been shows on some of the not as main stream networks and have been shows I have for some reason stumbled upon and have liked for the last few years.

 One is "Gold Rush Alaska" where real miner work long hours in extreme conditions with sketchy equipment in a quest for gold. It to me was a great show, not because it was exciting or glamorous or thrilling or I really am intrigued by gold mining in Alaska, but really more because it was a lot like real life. In the first season it was a lot of work and not a lot of reward. In reality, that was about  all the entire first season was. But you know what was my favorite part? They all kept faith. They all kept working hard at a non glamorous job. a job many would probably find a form of drudgery. They kept on praying and now good things are started to break their way.

The second show is "Duck Dynasty". No it's not a show about the latest Chinese restaurant. It's about a family that owns a hunting supply store. Yes, it is a sort of campy fun but it almost always ends  with a positive pro family message. I have seen a few videos on you tube where the leads talk about their family and their faith. Are they perfect? No. But they have a positive message that resonates with people and that many people are searching for.

The more I read about both these shows the more I think they are on to something. They are both the networks top rated shows. Their numbers keep going up and up and up.  Yes, there may be 50 murder investigation shows on the tube right now but the trend may be turning and I for one would love to see it. We are in need. If we can do shows with huge explosions and gun battles just think how much easier it would be to produce something about the battles we all face day after day.

Ah well, that's just my rant and suggestion for the day if you are stuck inside and surfing.

1 comment:

  1. Duck Dynasty on A & E. This has to be one of my most favorite shows to watch, no cussing, no vulgarity, just funny.

    ReplyDelete

Here are the rules for comments. Know them. Live them.

http://lastcar.blogspot.com/2011/04/rules-for-comments.html?m=1